Tuesday, November 06, 2007

I Got Married, I Bought A House, I Caught A Fish: Part 3

Andrew just had his 29th birthday and when I asked him what he wanted he said, "I want to go deep sea fishing." ...My husband's so cute. So we did. We went down to his parents' and on his birthday, his dad drove us and our brother-in-law Don over to Corpus Christi where we hopped on a fishing boat and headed into the Gulf of Mexico. The boat provides everything you'd need - reel, rod, dead fish bait - it's great! So us and 30 other people just sit around and fish for 5 hours.


Now, let's get one thing straight - I was NOT going to fish. I didn't want to fish and I knew the money would be wasted on me. So I was just going to sit and read my book and look at the ocean and watch the men-folk bring in the food. But when we finally got out to the first cast off (it took over an hour to get far enough into the ocean to fish), my father-in-law says, "Come on, Susan, grab your rod!" And I was like....wha--? Apparently, he went ahead and rented ME a rod too so that they had more chances of catching as many fish as they could. Well...I had no clue what I was doing, so Don showed me how to drop the line into the water and then stop it when I wanted. So I did...and then I stopped it. I stood there for a bit and then suddenly a fish started to pull on Andrew's line! Well, I wasn't missing this photo op, so I stuck my rod into the little rod holder thingy, and went to grab my camera. Unfortunately, about 3 feet from the surface, the fish unhooked himself and swam away.

HOWEVER, unbeknownst to me, as soon as I put my rod down, a fish hooked onto IT. Don saw it move and quickly grabbed it and reeled it in. I still say it was him who caught the fish but the men say that putting the hook in the right place is where the fishing talent lies. ...Whatever.

Here's my fish.



And then my father-in-law made me gut him. See?





It was gross...but then my daddy grilled him...and he was tasty.

And that was the time I caught a fish...and it was awesome.

3 comments:

HelloBridgett said...
6:07 PM  

Nice job with the gutting... I wouldn't have been able to do it without getting sick.

Zachary said...
3:04 PM  

WHAT THE???? I have been diligently checking your blog on a practically daily basis, waiting for an update, and the one week that I happen to be on the road and can't check things, she goes and decided to get all 3 Post-y on me. Welcome back! Love the stories!

Anonymous said...
9:08 PM  

You're back! (While unquestionably well worth the wait, I have to be honest and confess that I missed you--terribly--don't ever be that quiet again--k? Promise? I enjoy Storytime with Susan too much to be satisfied with your absence....) I can't believe I've actually had to catch up with all your recent blogging! Now I feel spoiled. Thank you. Can't wait to hear your next tale, Susan. Love your guts. Welcome back!

Post a Comment