Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Kri The Korean



My best friend Krisanne moved to Korea this week. She does this...moves to other other countries. She does it a lot. (Seriously - what is with the people in my life thinking it's cool living overseas?! It's not, people! It's just NOT!)


Anyway...Krisanne will be teaching English to cute Korean children at a fancy artistic-like school. I couldn't imagine a better job for her. And so, on this, the cusp of her new foreign-flavored adventure, I'd like to dedicate this post to my best friend, Krisanne Hastings.


Krisanne and I met about 4 years ago but we should have met sooner. We have unknowingly crossed paths so many times in life...we've been to the same parties, know the same people, we even think she may have come to one of my apartments at BYU once. We have something like 6 mutual friends - that we met at different times. In any case, we finally met 4 years ago at a singles' FHE group. We soon discovered our mutual love for the Indigo Girls and when they came in concert just a few months after our meeting, we decided to go together. And ladies and gentlemen...the greatest friendship of my life was born (except, of course, for my husband and my mom). The connection was instant - I've never connected so quickly and so profoundly like that with anyone. And the connection has only gotten deeper. Especially considering she and I have lived in different parts of the world for something like 3 of the 4 years we've been friends.


Krisanne is the kindest person I know. I've never known her when she hasn't been a volunteer at a children's hospital or a retirement home. She is so full of warmth and intelligence and love. She makes me laugh harder than anyone I know and I have more fun making HER laugh than anyone else in my life. There are so many things I love about Krisanne but my favorite is her bravery. Krisanne hasn't had the easiest life...but she takes everything with her head high. She went to grad school in England a few years ago...all by herself. And now she's moved to Korea...all by herself. And she does it, as she does most things, because she wants nothing more than to make the world a better place. I'm not kidding people....she's amazing.


Krisanne...you're kinda my hero.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
10:36 AM  

I agree completely. Even if I've only ever spent 72 hours with her. She's also one of the only people I know who is that freaking gorgeous and I can't hate her ever a little bit for it!

Two days in a row, Susan. I'm feeling all spoiled now. =)

Sufoot said...
11:00 AM  

I know...sometimes when I come back after a long drought, I'm all sorts of gung-ho!*...I fear that I'll over do it and then not be back for another 4 months.

Luckily, I have you to remind me to get my bootie in gear!

*Where did we get the phrase "gung-ho"...and am I even spelling it correctly?...Discuss.

Zachary said...
7:18 PM  

Gung ho was actually introduced to the US Marines in 1942 by Evans Carlson. It is thought that he picked it up from the Chinese term: gong he which means, "Work Together".

Welcome back to the blogging world! Here you go...all Post-y on us again.

Kris seems like someone you wouldn't forget. Hope she enjoys Korea.

Krisanne said...
8:56 AM  

your post made me cry susan. i love you. i love you. i love you.

Anonymous said...
4:02 PM  

Aaaaannnnnnnnnd, she's done. It was a good run while it lasted, eh? *sigh*

I wuv, you, Susan.

The McKay's said...
10:19 PM  

Susan
I know Krisanne--I've known her since probably elementary school days since we both had mutual friends growing up in Beavertone, OR. She is a doll and I'm so glad you are her best friend!

Post a Comment