Thursday, October 19, 2006

Blaine?! That's not a name, that's a major appliance!

When I was little, I very distinctly remember hating my name - I thought it was soooo boring. My middle name, Elizabeth, I found much more exciting and tried numerous times to get my mother to switch my name to Elizabeth (visions of being called Beth, Lizzie, Liza danced in my head). But my mom was all "Birth certificate blah blah blah" and I remained dreary ol' Susan.

Then I got older...and I don't hate my name anymore. However, I still wish there was something fancy about it...a nickname perhaps, or a quirky spelling. I have a really hot e-friend who capitalizes the middle letter in her name. For example, SuSan. And the thing is...that's totally her. She works it. She OWNS it. If I did it? ...Dude, it would stop being cool and start being ridiculous.

When I was a freshman, one of my roommates found this obscure juvenile fiction book called, I kid you not, "My Name Is Sus5an...The 5 Is Silent". I loved this. We all loved it. All 6 of us came up with number names - Bro7oke. Tiffi9ny. (Of course, pronouncing the number...it's not cool if you don't actually pronounce the number.) Could I actually get away with putting a (silent) number in the middle of my name? Hmm...

Point is, people, I need something...something that distinguishes me from all those other drabbly monikered Susans you all know. Thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
3:02 PM  

I've always liked Shooshan. . . but that's just me.

Anonymous said...
3:02 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Zachary said...
3:32 AM  

What if you fell back on the "Circus Rule"? When the letter "C" is followed by a vowel, and references someone or something entertaining, it is pronounced like the letter "S": Cewsan?

Post a Comment