Thursday, October 21, 2010

FFwD: Hachis Parmentier


I am 33 weeks pregnant. And I've entered a new phase of pregnancy that I honestly did NOT know was coming. My stomach - the part of my insides in charge of holding all the yummy food I eat - has shrunken. It's currently the size of a peanut. Ever since I had the stomach flu, I have had the hardest time eating. I get nauseous if I eat even a regular amount of food, let alone the pregnant amount I've been eating these past 7 months. I eat and usually about an hour later my body realizes it actually does NOT have the room after all to store what I just ate. I hate it. I have only a precious few months left of "eating whatever the crap I want with no regard to Weight Watcher points!".....and here I find that I can barely eat a single serving of anything.


Why am I telling you this? I'm telling you this so you know why I only had one serving of this meal. Had my stomach NOT been taken over by an increasingly huge baby, I would've probably gone back for thirds. Friends? I love this dish.


Yes, it's basically the French version of Shepherd's Pie. ....But you wanna know a secret? I've never had Shepherd's Pie. I know, I know - "Oh, the humanity!" "How are you a normal person!" "Did your mother not love you - did she never feed you comfort food?!" Yes....yes she did. But we ate chili & tortillas and meatball sandwiches. We were never really "meat and potatoes" kind of people. Especially me. I don't really eat potatoes. When my mother served baked potatoes, she made me my own little dish of rice.



But that aside - I am in love with this dish. I loved the creamy goodness of the mashed potatoes (*gasp!*...do I like potatoes now?!). I loved the familiar smokiness of the Emmental cheese sprinkled on top. I loved LOVED the combination of the cube steak, sausage and homemade beef broth. Friends? I loved this dish. This is the first dish so far that I can say that I will, without a doubt, 100% be adding this into our regular dinner rotation.


And yes...yes, I MADE homemade beef broth. And I am super proud of myself.



Verdict: If it were actually fall here, I could see calling this the ultimate comfort food...and possibly eating it every single cold day.

2 comments:

Cristine said...
10:35 AM  

It really was delicious! Sorry you couldn't eat a ton of it!

Cami said...
2:54 PM  

Your FFwD blogging always makes me SO hungry! (I think it's the pictures. I'm a sucker for pictures. When I go to a restaurant, I usually get whatever there's a picture of on the menu.) And this post alone might just make me go buy that recipe book. It IS cold here today and I could use some delicious comfort food. Does it take a long time to make? Could I make it with two babies underfoot? We shall see.

Oh, and for me, somewhere in the last few weeks of pregnancy, the baby "dropped" and I gained my appetite back big time. Plus, when you're nursing you can still eat a ton without counting Weight Watchers points because you're still eating for two... so don't worry about your lost appetite for now.

Post a Comment