Monday, July 14, 2008

Allons Enfants De La Patrie!

Happy Bastille Day!

I was in the MTC on Bastille Day mmphbmmph years ago. I was lucky enough to have a French teacher - Seour Cannon. She decided that for French class that day, she'd teach us the words to the Marseillasie, the French National anthem. It's an amazing song and, even if we didn't completely know what we were singing, it was/is incredibly powerful. For the rest of the day (and several days after), every time we left for our tri-daily walks, the entire district would break out and practically shout the song.

I learned later, while in France, that the French LDS hymn book did not contain the national anthem as it contains lines talking about filling "our trenches with the impure blood of our enemies". ...I love the French.

Andrew asked me yesterday if I knew what Bastille Day was all about...and shockingly and embarrassingly...I couldn't answer. I knew it had something to do with Louis the something and Marie Antoinette maybe? Yeah...I've repented and done my homework. Check it out here. Or...watch this awesome episode of one of my all-time favorite TV shows.

4 comments:

teresa and the boys said...
12:20 PM  

And now it's in my head too. =) La jour de droit est arrive!!!

Aaahhh, Susan. I love those memories -- they are surely some of my best ever. You're the coooooooolest, you know?

Julie Smith said...
6:45 PM  

Hey Susan,

My birthday is Bastille Day. My husband points that out every year as he sings me a RUSH song entitled "Bastille Day" (It is not very uplifting.)

Miss you guys :)

Sufoot said...
10:56 AM  

Happy Birthday, Julie! Or should I say, Bonne Anniversaire!!

We miss YOU! Maybe we'll meet up again at a Stake dealio...

Tara said...
2:11 PM  

One of the few things I remember from taking French in high school is La Marseillaise. I remember all the words to this day. Yeah, it's a pretty violent and bloody song, but cool.

Post a Comment