Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ike Poo-Poo Face Stinkhead!

So, I've lived in Houston off and on for the past 21 years. Sometimes it surprises people to learn that we consider ourselves as living on the coast (the Gulf of Mexico is about an hour drive). And in those 21 years, we have yet to have a real full-on hurricane hit us. We've had Rita, who scared us all into the Worst Evacuation In The History Of Ever but didn't rain a single drop on the west side. We've had Allison, who was a tropical storm by the time it hit us but flooded parts of Houston so badly that businesses were closed for weeks. And I seem to remember a Gilbert when I was in high school...but I also remember that it went off somewhere else.

And then there's Ike. Now, if Rita taught me anything it taught me that hurricane's can change direction without warning and in the drop of a hat (...where did THAT saying come from?...Zach?) So, chances are come Saturday morning, Beaumont (east of Houston) will be once again ground zero for any and all hurricane-type weather. But "chances are" when discussing hurricane's...well, you always want to err on the side of caution. So, I am in the process of talking my husband into evacuating. I had an order for 2 dozen cupcakes to be delivered to College Station (home of Texas A&M and about an hour from our house) on Saturday night, so we were already planning a "business trip", followed by dinner with our friends and family who live there. I am now trying to convince Andrew that we should leave tonight or tomorrow morning, so that we can be having an Ike Sucks! party with our friends, who WILL have electricity and AC, as opposed to staying here and having a Ike Sucks MORE! party with no friends and possibly no electricity or AC....

Wish me luck.

I'll update my bloggy friends when we decide.

3 comments:

heather said...
10:35 AM  

I guess I just haven't lived in Houston long enough in my adult years but all I remember about hurricanes in TX is that all the water and bread gets sold out at the grocery store whenever a storm starts threatening the Gulf.

Tell Andrew I vote for you to stay in College Station. If anything, it'd be funner, don't you think?

teresa and the boys said...
11:49 AM  

Man... all we get is an occasional thunderstorm. You get all the cool weather. Not literally, of course...

Nolo and Lauren said...
12:22 PM  

I think we need to have an IKE Totally Sucks party. Nolo and I were planning on coming down to Houston this weekend for the Astros series against the Cubs and to watch the Texans beat Baltimore. Everything was prepaid and we can't get a refund. Either way (Salt Lake or Houston), we'll be having an Ike Sucks Party. Good luck this weekend. Hopefully it turns even more to the east and drops to a Cat 1 Hurricane.

Post a Comment